The Diversion Program is intended to give a "second chance" to offenders who commit a relatively minor criminal or traffic offense.
Diversion is a privilege and not a right. Diversion eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis. There is no guarantee diversion will be granted in any given case. There is no presumption in favor of Diversion in any case, and the burden of persuasion falls upon the Defendant to establish that a Diversion Program will serve the ends of justice and the interests of the community and victim(s).
Upon entering into a Diversion agreement, criminal proceedings shall be suspended by appropriate order of the Court until completion of the Diversion Program. Charges will be dismissed with prejudice upon successful completion of diversion requirements. Failing to complete requirements of diversion program may result in the Court order to terminate Diversion and resume the criminal proceedings on the original complaint.
If you have further questions about or need assistance with the diversion program, you may contact our office at 620-272-3568.
Applying for Diversion
- Please fill out a Diversion Application or Fast-Track Application online and submit by mail or email.
- There is a $40 Diversion application-processing fee, please attach your payment to application and mail to the Finney County Attorney’s Office or make a payment online. Applications will not be processed without a payment.
Paying for Diversion
- Acceptable forms of payment include credit card (online/over the phone), money order and cash. Personal checks not accepted.
- Online Payment: Click here to make a payment online.
- Money Order or cash payment remit:
Finney County Attorney’s Office
409 9th Ninth St
Garden City, KS 67846
Please print your name and case number when paying with cash or money order. If you do not have your case number please call our direct line, (620) 272-3568.
- Please check in by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, case number, contact information changes and any diversion requirement updates.
Submitting Additional Requirements
- If you are required to complete community service hours, evaluations, or classes per your agreement, you may mail or email a copy of your community service hours log, evaluations, and course completion.
- Please submit all documents with your full name, address, DOB and case number, if you do not have your case number please call the direct line at 620-272-3568.