Commission Role in Administration
Administration of County Government
The Board of County Commissioners has agreed upon the following as a means of clarifying the role of the Commission in the Administration of County operations:
Citizen Inquiries or Complaints
- Generally, Commissioners should visit County Departments only as a group, that is, as the Board of County Commissioners.
- Generally, Commissioners should visit with County Department heads about the performance of their Departments only as a group, that is, as the Board of County Commissioners.
- Individual commissioners should visit County Departments infrequently and with an extreme degree of caution.
- If a commissioner determines it necessary to visit with a Department head without other board members present, the full board should be advised that the visit occurred and the subject of the visit should be reviewed with the board.
- Outside of Commission meetings, individual commissioners should never give work-related directions or suggestions to Department heads or other employees.
Complaints or Inquiries Commissioners receive about Departments and personnel under the authority of the Commission should be channeled as follows:
- Commissioner reports inquiry/complaint to board at its next meeting
- Board discusses appropriate resolution of complaint and, if necessary, may direct county administrator to work with the appropriate Department head to resolve the matter
- If so directed, County Administrator reports nature of complaint to appropriate Department Director and requests background information as needed
- Department director responds and reports back to County Administrator
- After the board has identified a solution to the complaint, or after the County Administrator has provided feedback, the commissioner who received the complaint may contact the citizen to explain action taken
- If the complaint received requires a timely response, the Commissioner receiving the complaint should contact the County Administrator who will follow steps three-five to resolve the matter as soon as possible
Following the regularly scheduled lunch briefings that the Commission has with individual department heads, the Commission should participate in a tour of the Department, during which a briefing on Department activities, issues, and concerns shall be provided. The Commission should review newly established Commissioner-employee and complaint review communication procedures with Department heads.