Click to home
RSSEmail this urlPrint page
Go To Search
Noxious Weeds

About the Department
The Noxious Weed Department is a local County branch of government established to enforce the Kansas Noxious Weed Law within the boundaries of Finney County.  We are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.

The Department researches and promotes the most economical herbicide or cultural control methods for our area, climate, and conditions in order to provide recommendations to landowners for the control of noxious weeds on their property.

Herbicide Sales
We purchase herbicides for the treatment of noxious weeds and sell the herbicides to taxpayers at 75% of the wholesale price. The other 25% is paid for by taxes collected for that purpose.

The Department also searches for and eradicates low-acreage noxious weeds (musk thistle, Canada thistle, hoary cress, quackgrass, Russian knapweed, and leafy spurge) within the County at no charge to landowners. This program helps avoid widespread and economically disastrous infestations.

Noxious weeds, particularly bindweed, johnsongrass, and bur-ragweed, destroy thousands of acres of crops in Finney County every year. Herbicide control costs less than $12 per acre including application, whereas non-control of these weeds can cost more than $120 per acre in lost yields at 2009 prices.

Finney County
311 N. Ninth St. | Garden City, Kansas 67846 | Ph. (620) 272-3500 | Fx. (620) 272-3599
Contact Us | Accessibility | Copyright Notice | Powered by CivicPlus